Re: [K12OSN] Re: LTSP presentation to all Alberta Ed tech leaders conference

The information is readily available, but the boards "hide" behind false data fabricated internally to justify their staying with M$. The other problem are the unions of techs who do not have any Linux/Unix training and are fearful that their jobs will disappear if the schools switch to Linux. So the bureaucrates stack the deck with false info and the union backs them up! Very nice arrangeemnt !!!

norbert

-----Original Message-----
From: sbarar gmail com
To: k12osn redhat com
Sent: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Re: LTSP presentation to all Alberta Ed tech leaders conference

On 16/10/06, bear2bar netscape net <bear2bar netscape net> wrote:

> Having done battle with the Minister of Education and on down with all the
> school boards in Quebec I lend my entire support to the comment made. Not
> only are the boards "locked in" to M$ but there are incentives from M$ to
> make sure that they do not change.
> Having experienced this personally I can say that it will take significant
> pressure to open the large boards to linux, that said the battle goes on...

Coming from India I do not know ow boards work in Canada but do you
have some thing like "Right of Information" legislation? Use that to
demand answer from the boards on moeny spent on IT and justification.
A parallel track (or even better a multi track) approach to force the
boards is more likely to work. If it is any consolation only one state
board has mandate use of Open Source yet here recently. Hope this
spreads.
-- Regards,
Sudev Barar