Re: [K12OSN] Re: LTSP presentation to all Alberta Ed tech leaders conference

On 10/15/06, bear2bar netscape net <bear2bar netscape net> wrote:
 Having done battle with the Minister of Education and on down with all the school boards in Quebec I lend my entire support to the comment made. Not only are the boards "locked in" to M$ but there are incentives from M$ to make sure that they do not change.
Having experienced this personally I can say that it will take significant pressure to open the large boards to linux, that said the battle goes on...

Ditto. My school just spent well over $10,000 on a district mandated M$ 2003 server (I don't even want to know how much of that is for licensing). It provides ADS/PDC(LDAP/Samba), IIS(Apache), DHCP(dhcpd) and a M$ nameserver(BIND) . However, the district has decided to use Mambo as the CMS for the school. Mambo is a Free Open Source CMS which uses PHP/MYSQL. But on a Windows box!?  I find this oddly humorous. Linux dominates the web with LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql Php) boxes. When will they learn?

--
Robert Arkiletian