[K12OSN] GLX Not Working?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Oct 16 13:09:36 UTC 2006

I don't have any experience with those particular apps, but it sounds like you may be
having network bandwidth/contention issues.  I'm guessing that you don't have as many of
the computers at home as you have in the club.  Are you using a gigabit network
connection between the server and the clients?  That is, a 100Mb card in the server and
in each of the clients, all connected via a 100Mb switch, is adequate for up to six
clients when graphically intensive apps (such as you are using) are involved; and
depending on exactly what you're doing, perhaps fewer than that.  Above that, put a
gigabit card in the server, and get a switch with a bunch of 100Mb ports and one or two
gigabit ports.  For each client, 100Mb is sufficient, but the server needs to be
gigabit.  You could also be cheap and buy a 5-port Gbit switch, plug the server into it,
and then daisy chain some 100Mb switches into it, and plug the clients into those 100Mb
switches; it's a bit clumsy, but may be a cheap way to test to see if it solves the problem.

Petre