Re: [K12OSN] Uninteruptable Power Supply UPS with Linux

On 10/16/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
Can APC UPS's  send a shutdown command via  a linux deamon when the main
power goes out? How is this done?
 Also I see some of these UPS's have serial cables and some have usb cables.
Does it use this cable to send the shutdown?

Not directly.  The cable is used for communications with a program on
the computer, and that program (or clients) is responsible for
shutting down the system. If you have a choice, I'd suggest getting
one with a USB cable.

If you're using an APC (IMHO the best of the consumer-quality UPSes),
install apcupsd. If you're using FC5 it's available from the "extras"
repository. I know "nut" and "nut-cgi" are available in the "core"
repository, but I've found apcupsd to be easier to setup (probably due
to its product-specificity).

Calvin