Re: [K12OSN] Uninteruptable Power Supply UPS with Linux

On 10/16/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
Can APC UPS's  send a shutdown command via  a linux deamon when the main
power goes out? How is this done?
 Also I see some of these UPS's have serial cables and some have usb cables.
Does it use this cable to send the shutdown?
 Any info/recommendations appreciated.

Well, the UPS doesn't really send a shutdown.  There's an apc daemon
that monitors the status of the UPS.  It detects when it's on battery,
or when it has a power source.   You can set the daemon to trigger a
shutdown when it senses the battery has a certain charge remaining.
The daemon will also cancel shutdown if power comes back on before the
shutdown actually occurs.     I prefer a warning, so if I'm at work
when power goes out, I can save stuff before the shutdown occurs.

They will use either the USB or serial connection for monitoring the status.

Roger