Re: [K12OSN] SATA drive for server with 25 users?

On 10/16/06, Petre Scheie <petre maltzen net> wrote:
We haven't had any discussion for a while now as to how well SATA drives scale up in a
K12LTSP server.  It used to be, back in the PATA days, that an ATA (also known as IDE)
drive would handle up to 10 clients, but going any higher than that resulted in poor
performance that could be addressed only by going to SCSI with its ability to re-order
queues and so forth.  But SATA has been out for a while, it now has many of the features
of SCSI, and I see that 10K RPM versions are available, and so I'm wondering if the
consensus now is that SATA is good enough for small and even mid-size servers, where by
'midsize' I mean roughly 25 clients hanging off of it.  What about 7200RPM SATA drives?

With 25 users it would be worth trying.  FWIW, a local Linux-based
hosting facility (tummy.com) swears by Hitachi drives, and the newer
Hitachis feature "Native Command Queueing", which I believe is
equivalent to the queue reordering you mentioned.

If I was putting together a new server, I'd probably try one of those
Hitachis. They're cheap enough that you could try, say, a 250 gig
model, then relegate it to some other task (like backup storage) if
you found you had to replace it with a SCSI drive.

Yes, you could get a 10K RPM Maxtor drive, but they're much more
expensive, and currently Maxtor reliability is suspect
(http://www.hardwareguys.com/picks/harddisk.html).

Calvin