From: Petre Scheie <petre maltzen net>
To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] GLX Not Working?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:09:36 -0500

I don't have any experience with those particular apps, but it sounds like you may be having network bandwidth/contention issues. I'm guessing that you don't have as many of the computers at home as you have in the club. Are you using a gigabit network connection between the server and the clients? That is, a 100Mb card in the server and in each of the clients, all connected via a 100Mb switch, is adequate for up to six clients when graphically intensive apps (such as you are using) are involved; and depending on exactly what you're doing, perhaps fewer than that. Above that, put a gigabit card in the server, and get a switch with a bunch of 100Mb ports and one or two gigabit ports. For each client, 100Mb is sufficient, but the server needs to be gigabit. You could also be cheap and buy a 5-port Gbit switch, plug the server into it, and then daisy chain some 100Mb switches into it, and plug the clients into those 100Mb switches; it's a bit clumsy, but may be a cheap way to test to see if it solves the problem.

Petre

Steven Perks wrote:
Hello,

I have a system of computers at my school. We also have a computer club and I have the same computers as in the computer club at home. The problem is the ones at school (computer club) do not work. But the ones at home do work.

And by work I mean the following programs do not work properly on Terminals

Blender
Starcraft
Odd time Firefox will die when visiting websites
Most other games that use extensive graphics.

But GLXGears does work, and the gears spin.

When we start blender we get a error than it logs us out and we have to restart terminals in order to log back in.

Also driftnet does not work, shows a black screen

Any ideas?

- Steve