Re: [K12OSN] SATA drive for server with 25 users?

On 10/16/06, Petre Scheie <petre maltzen net> wrote:
We haven't had any discussion for a while now as to how well SATA drives scale up in a
K12LTSP server.  It used to be, back in the PATA days, that an ATA (also known as IDE)
drive would handle up to 10 clients, but going any higher than that resulted in poor
performance that could be addressed only by going to SCSI with its ability to re-order
queues and so forth.  But SATA has been out for a while, it now has many of the features
of SCSI, and I see that 10K RPM versions are available, and so I'm wondering if the
consensus now is that SATA is good enough for small and even mid-size servers, where by
'midsize' I mean roughly 25 clients hanging off of it.  What about 7200RPM SATA drives?
Thoughts?

Although I use scsi in my server my advice would be to make a software raid 1 for / , /var, /tmp on 2 fast 10k rpm drives and /home and swap on another 2 (bigger) 7200rpm drives. Intel 945P chipsets usually come with ICHR southbridges (which have AHCI needed for NCQ) that have 4 SATA ports. Or if you want lots of space for /home then buy another cheap Sil3132 based PCI-E SATA controller (I think SYBA makes them) for another 2 SATA ports and make a RAID 5 for /home with upto 4 drives.

Petre