[K12OSN] smbd dead but pid file exists

My ldif file got corrupted again. I reinstalled it using rm / slapadd / chown ldap etc.
That seemed to go okay but now smb doesn't work with the above message.
 My windows users can't access important files.
The smb.conf file I had before was overwritten by a generic one so I copied my original file back in its place.
I can stop and restart smb but it always reads "smbd dead but pid file exists"

What should I do?