[K12OSN] latop sometimes ldap/nfs

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:29:59 UTC 2006

To the best of my knowledge, you can't do this as you describe. But it might
help to know what it is you are trying to accomplish and why; there may be a
different way to accomplish what you really need to do.

My guess about what you are trying to do is simulate the MS Windows
local/domain logins. The fact of the matter is that Unix (and Linux) have a
different design and it doesn't work that way. Changing your authentication
realm, at login, on the fly is the biggest obstacle.

However, there are other possibilities if you don't have to masquerade as
Micosoft to do it: local logins and nfs automount under each users home
directory (~/user/MyHome.net maybe), or perhaps something more exotic, like
distributed filesystems (i.e. Coda). We don't know if you are talking about
access over a WAN/Internet or only over a private LAN. We don't know if the
laptop is used by one, a small number, or many users.

A more precise description of the goal of the project would narrow the problem
space, and maybe someone has already worked out something similar. Just
because they may not have solved it in the way you imagine doesn't mean it
might not still be solved.