[K12OSN] Bug & workaround in childsplay

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 19 02:08:29 UTC 2006

Starting childsplay from the menu in Gnome (haven't tried KDE) runs the
program, but I get no sound.  However, calling it from a shell/xterm
session does work.  /usr/bin/childsplay is just a symlink to
/usr/share/childsplay/childsplay.py.  Running either file via Nautilus
produces the same no-sound result.  There was discussion of this problem
about a year ago, with no resolution aside from my suggestion to check
the .bashrc file for any clues.  I removed the symlink and replaced with
a two-line shell script that seems to work although I don't know why:

. /etc/bashrc
/usr/share/childsplay/childsplay.py

Now running the program via Nautilus or from the menu works.  Not sure
why this doesn't seem to affect everyone, but I mention it here in case
it comes up in the future.

Petre