Re: [K12OSN] New K12LTSP 5.0.0 server won't wake up

On 10/19/06, Ray Garza <ray mission lib tx us> wrote:
On Wednesday 18 October 2006 22:30, Carl Keil wrote:

So, what did you set the BIOS to? What does S1 and S3 really mean? I seen them
in the Dell PC's we have and the online help was of no help.

A little hunting at Wikipedia reveals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
(look for "Global States").

S1 and S3 are power-saving modes. Since S3  ("suspend to RAM") turns
off power to all devices except RAM, it saves the most power of any
state which leaves the computer on. YMMV when starting back up - my
3.5 year old Toshiba laptop (running Core 6 test) doesn't reset video
properly (I get a blank screen) after starting back up from S3.

There are also S2 (rarely used) and S4 (suspend to disk, which shuts
down computer after suspending (no power usage) AND works fine on my
laptop).

I guess I'll stop now, before dumping more possibly-irrelevant data
into the mailing list.  See the Wikipedia entry for lots more info.

Calvin