[K12OSN] _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address, for ws253.ltsp

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Thu Oct 19 20:52:38 UTC 2006

> Carl Keil wrote:
>
>From: Jim McQuillan <jam mcquil com>
>
>Carl,
>

>         It's complaining that it can't talk to the client. Possibly a
>         problem with the $DISPLAY variable. So, lets see what your
>         $DISPLAY is set to.
>
>Near the top of your script, add this:
>
>   echo "DISPLAY=$DISPLAY" >/tmp/display.out
>
>Then, try running the script
>

>         After it fails, take a look in /tmp/display.out, see what
>         DISPLAY was set to. That might provide a clue on how to proceed.
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>Thanks for the suggestions. Display.out says "DISPLAY=ws253.ltsp:0.0"
>

>That looks perfectly normal.
>
>I'm guessing you have a library mis-match problem.
>
>Jim.

Jim, aren't you one of the ltsp developers?  (Or am I way off base)
Regardless, it's an amazing resource to have you on this list.  With
this simple statement:

"I'm guessing you have a library mis-match problem."

You led me to the solution. (The original posting I found through google helped too.  He said he developed his idea by bringing over libraries from a FC2 computer that had SimCity working.  I had tried to use his set of libraries that he had thoughtfully bundled up for people following in his footsteps.)

Anyway, I tried a brute force attack on the problem.  I simply rsnyc'd over directories of libraries from my K12ltsp 4.2.2 server (where SimCity worked before) into that "loki_comat" directory on my new server. I had to try 4 different directories of the same libraries until I found ones that worked.  But it was indeed, obviously [to you], a library "mis-match problem".  Thank you so much for helping me with my trivialities.  If it means anything to you, you've helped make an 11 year old SimCity addict very happy.

ck