Re: [K12OSN] rolling your own

On top of that, if you have a Dell rep and are k12, you could probably get that $5.122 unit for about ~ $2,900. When I configure mine, the price for small business is between 5k-7k, I send the e-quote to my dell rep and usually it comes in between 2.8k - 3.6k.
Mark

Eric Harrison wrote:
Eric Brown wrote:

My existing k12ltsp server isn't quite doing the job it used to.  It's
a quad P3 550 MHz, with 3gb ram purchased off ebay 2 years ago.  When
20 kids open firefox and OO, things slow down quite a bit, and firefox
may hang on several kids.  I started searching for a new server on
E-Bay, where I found a quad 2ghz machine with 8gb ram for $5k.  My
principal was reluctant to spend that much money on something used
with no warranty.  He said he'd prefer to have me purchase parts and
use the assembly of the server as a teaching opportunity (something
I've done with workstations in the past).

My question for the group is, has anyone done this and encountered
problems with some aspect of the machine in an LTSP environment?

I'm looking at a Tyan board that will take 4 Opteron dual-core
processors, probably 8 gb RAM, 2 gb nics onboard.  I'm not too worried
about disk space.  I've only got 4 9gb drives in a raid5 right now,
and only 44% is in use for about 60 students.  I'm planning on
something like 4 74gb 10,000 rpm drives with 8mb cache.  Since the
board is an extended atx, nearly any case that will take it is usually
a server case with room for all the drives.

Preliminary costs look to be $5k-$6k, which is the ball park I've been
given.

Anything I'm missing?  Is this a bad thing to do?  Shouldn't this run
20-25 clients very well for some time?  Is it too much (I'm often
accused of over-engineering anything I build)?  Any comments welcome.

Thanks,
Eric Brown

The last couple times I've looked, the "big guys" often matched or beat
what I could build myself.

I just checked Dell and a PowerEdge 2950 with two dual core Xeon 5130's,
8G of ram, 4x73G 10k SAS drives, and dual power supplies is $5,122
(NOTE: select "Small Business", that will get you better prices than
"Education")

Gateway usually has unbeatable prices on servers, but they are currently
using the older, slower, power-hungry xeons. You really want a shiny new
Opteron or 5100-series Xeon.

-Eric

-Eric