Re: [K12OSN] rolling your own

I think you mean $1500, not $15000. ;-)

William Fragakis wrote:
A me, too. I think the budget for our new servers which are supposed to
serve 60-100 are in the range you are talking about.

I built a dual core Pentium D 3.0 with 4 gb ram and 10K sata drives in a
raid 1 for about $15000 last year. Overclocked to 3.3, it serves around
35 clients easily.

Actually, here's its current top readout during the school day. Don't
worry about the uptime, we get frequent power outages because of storms.

top - 12:19:53 up 3 days,  2:32, 37 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.09,
0.25
Tasks: 1084 total,   1 running, 1083 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.3% us,  0.7% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.7% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.3% si
Mem:   3367028k total,  3030888k used,   336140k free,    79888k buffers
Swap:  1933304k total,        0k used,  1933304k free,  1074252k cached

regards,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com