[K12OSN] sound module maestro3 not found

I've got a bunch of Dell Latitude laptops that Knoppix says contain an ESS Technology ES1983S Maestro-3i sound chip. Sound works on these with Knoppix. When I boot them as a client I get the following error and sound does not work:

Running sound server
FATAL: Module maestro3 not found
Warning: Sound driver no loaded, please specify correct module in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

I see there is a /opt/ltsp/i386/lib/modules/2.6.17.3-ltsp-1/kernel/sound/snd-maestro3.ko so I think the system has the driver. And in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/audiolist I see several lines listed for maestro3--do I need to use these to set some sort of manual settings for the client?

Any suggestions?

Petre