[K12OSN] Retiring a K12LTSP server (back to just FC6 LAMP/Samba)

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Oct 25 08:12:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 Oct 2006 07:34, Carl Keil wrote:

> Can someone recommend a way to "convert" this thing back to straight
> FC?  Can I "yum remove" certain things, disable certain repos and turn
> off a few services?  I would like to, at that point, be able to run "yum
> upgrade" and get to pretty much stock FC6 without repo conflicts.  It's
> at k12LTSP 4.2.2 right now.

I think a reinstall would be quicker.  By the time you've worked out want you
don't need on a web server (Openoffice, Graphics, Sound, Games, Edutainment,
LTSP, etc) and uninstalled it, and worked out what you do need (Apache) and
what you might need (Mod-Perl, Mod-Python, MySQL, Postgresql, etc), I think
that you could have reinstalled it from scratch.

I recently re-installed our FC5 LAMP server in a couple of hours (hardware
replacement just like yours) and it is humming away nicely.  I lost no sleep
wondering if I'd forgotten something when it went live.

--
Regards
Martin Woolley