Re: [K12OSN] Room Layout

Ray-
How many outlets are on that power cord from Home Depot?  How much do they cost?

Petre

Ray Garza wrote:
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 17:05, Daniel Kuecker wrote:
Hello All!

I am trying to figure out how to best implement thin clients in a
classroom and not a lab. i have been searching the net for some floor
plans that others may be using, but cannot find much. i want to make
these permanent in the classroom, and try to minimize distraction from
an LCD panel on the desk, maybe under the desk with glass top? Currently
our desks are individual desks, some that the top flips open, some not.
I am also trying to figure out the bast way to get ethernet jacks and
power to the desks or cluster of desk. I have toyed with possibly
bunlding the ehternet and extension cords and rolling them out on the
floor, but i do not know if there would be interferance from the power
cords and plus it doesnt sound like a good permanent solution. What are
you guys doing?

Thanks!

Daniel Kuecker

Hmm, I saw a picture of someone's room where they got the computer desks along the three walls (facing the wall) and regular desks in the middle of the room facing the teacher for non computing work.

Here at the Library our computers are in table clusters with power and eithernet cabling running underground from the wiring closets to the tables. Of course the floorplan was designed that way when the new building was constructed. The old building was renovated to meet the same conditions but that meant a jackhammer to carve out a trench to lay the pipes. I don't think you want to go that route :)

I think for simplicity sake and avoidance of trip hazards, setting up around the perimiter of the room would be a good solution. Maybe you can do the same as the 1st paragraph but turn the computers around to face the teacher and move the desks away from the wall to create room to walk around and sit. You can then snake the power and lan cabling from one side all the way to the other end and have only one area exposed as a trip hazard. Home Depot sell a 25 ft power cord with connections every 3-4 ft. We use those in our laptop lab.

Just some ideas to toss around.

-ray