[K12OSN] Room Layout

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:30:27 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I saw this desk at a computer conference, and wished I had a big pile
of money to get enough for my classroom:

http://www.spectrumfurniture.com/prd/lvl3.cfm?from=search&subcat=261&cat_id=43&subcat_id=7

If you have flat panel monitors, you can push them down into the desk.
 You push a button, and they silently rise from the desktop.  There's
room in the monitor compartment for a keyboard and mouse.  The monitor
is proteced in front and back by the desk.  Also, there are conduits
on the sides that you can run cables through when the desk are side by
side so no cables run across the floor.  I can't remember the exact
figure, but it was going to be over $12k to get 25 of them for my
classroom last year.

I currently have my computers around the outside walls of the room.
I't makes for a pretty packed room.  I only have room for 24 students
in a classroom setting, and 20 in a computer lab setting.  At these
numbers its incredibly packed.   And of course, every semester, I must
go to the principal and remind him of these numbers after they pack 32
kids in my Algebra class.  Right now, I have to live with 28 in my
algebra class, and I have kids squeezing onto the ends of tables.  My
point is, make sure that class sizes and room size won't be an issue
if you're planning on doing both a lab and classroom in the same room.

I've got a panoramic shot of the computers in my room.  This was tanek
from the back corner of the room behind my desk.  I now also have a
bank of 3 more thin clients on the far right between my desk and that
door you can see.  Hopefully this will give you an idea (warning, it's
2.7mb):

http://www.keokukhigh.net/~ericbrow/pics/classroom.jpg

Good luck.

Eric