[K12OSN] Responses to the central office

Ray Garza ray at mission.lib.tx.us
Wed Oct 25 18:23:02 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 10:55, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Right. I don't know solutions myself. That's why I'm asking you guys!!!
>
> :-)

"I see", says the blind man. Well, lets take a look at each point.

Anyone, please jump in and expand or correct me.

> > > 1. The server would not have been configured by Telecomm and you can
> > > not be sure that settings would not be changed in such a way that they
> > > would interfere with normal operation of the network. Problems could
> > > include address collisions with other machines on the network or the
> > > server attempting to usurp roles which other machines fill (attempting
> > > to serve DHCP to the network, trying to act as the school's Master
> > > Browser or something similar), both of which would cause havoc.

Ask for a Static IP Address so it makes it easier to troubleshoot problems.
You are only servicing DHCP to your lab clients not the whole campus network
via a dedicated NIC on your server. I thing becoming a Master Browser
requires configurating Samba to be one - turn it off.

> > > 2. Because the server would not be Windows-based and is not part of the
> > > domain, you couldn't directly manage it and could not insure that it
> > > was properly configured.

You could allow a trained linux tech to be able to remote desktop in to check
things out or SSH in to check things out. Offer to train someone.

> > > 3. The server would be routing traffic from the clients to the network
> > > and from the network back to the clients. Attaching a router to the
> > > network can always cause problems.

Yes, but your really just NATing to allow multiple clients (in your lab
connected to the dedicated NIC on the server) to share one IP address (that
you assign to us) to the network.

> > > 4. Troubleshooting network problems caused by non-managed computers on
> > > the network can be incredibly difficult. It is always time-consuming
> > > and often tricky because non-standard software can interact with your
> > > software in ways that make problems difficult to identify and resolve.

They are really looking for people who are hogging up bandwidth and breaking
computer usage policies (ie., chatting, DLing movies, music, large files,
porn, etc.). Make sure that your students adhere to the policies educating
them and by uninstalling chatting and filesharing s/w.

> > > If I've missed anything or haven't sufficiently identified the issues,
> > > please correct me. I'm hoping the people on the list I subscribe to can
> > > figure out ways to sufficiently address the issues so that you'd feel
> > > comfortable with a solution.

Tell'm that you have 24 hr support from a large community of LTSP users/admins
The rest of the stuff looks good on the number crunching but that is not what
he is concerned with.

The previous post from Mike is probably the correct situation. Your stepping
on his toes, your creating more work for him/dept, it was not his idea or he
apprehensive because he knows nothing about linux nor does anyone on his
staff, just pick one. Several one-on-one talk would probably do some good at
his office then at your lab.  Recruit a tech. to champion your cause from
within.

Good luck!

--
Ray Garza