Re: [K12OSN] K12LSTP server crashes shortly after loading desktop

On 10/25/06, Tom Wolfe <twolfe sawback com> wrote:
Hi folks --

Just loaded K12LTSP 5.0 onto a Dell SC1425 (Intel Xeon single processor, 4
GB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000-M video card). Shortly after logging on to the
Gnome desktop the computer freezes totally--keyboard and mouse have no
effect (consoles aren't accessible), screen freezes. Waiting doesn't do
anything, I have to hit reset or power cycle.

I tried both 32-bit and 64-bit installations and got the same results both
times. These are completely default installations with the exception that
I am spanning/using the "LVM" disk setup with two 300 GB hard drives.

I also tried logging on with the IceWM desktop with the same result.

Any clues on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Does ctrl-alt-backspace reset X?
Check your bios settings. Are you using AHCI, IDE, or RAID in the bios? Use AHCI.
check /var/log/messages for specific errors

Regards,
Tom Wolfe