Re: [K12OSN] video editing software comments

Hello,

I would like to second Kivo.  I have never used it, but I know people
who have and it came highly recommended.  BUT, it is my understanding
that it would not be good to run it in a terminal environment.  If
you've ever done video editing on a Windows computer, you'll know that
it is very processor intensive.  If you attempted to do the same thing
on a terminal, which only gets a share of the processing power.  Plus,
all that video has to go down the wire from the client to the server,
then back to be displayed on the screen.

I have heard that the LTSP crew is working on something that will make
the server aware of the capability of the client, and will push
intensive jobs to a client that is capable of handling it.

And thanks Calvin.  I'm currently dual booting between XP (when I
absolutely have to) and Ubuntu, with plans of never going to Vista.  I
have to do a lot of video editing for my job, so I intend to use your
hints.

Eric

On 10/27/06, Calvin Dodge <caldodge gmail com> wrote:
On 10/27/06, brcisna eazylivin net <brcisna eazylivin net> wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> Just wanting to see what others are using for video editing software under
> Linux / K12LTSP ( v5.0). As with any video editing packages ,I'm sure they
> all seem to be "frustrating" to use. I'm just wondering who has the best
> luck with package "X",or whatever.

Well, keeping in mind that I'm NOT a video expert, I was satisfied
using "kivo" to edit my son's football games.

I _did_ find it to be unreliable at grabbing video directly from the
camera, so I'd use dvgrab to download the video in handy 1 gig chunks
(less than 5 minutes' worth), then use kivo to assemble those chunks,
edit out the unimportant stuff, and output the video in Mpeg2 format,
suitable for burning on DVDs to send to college coaches.

Calvin