[K12OSN] Create gnome shortcut icon to another file server

Under Gnome, is there a way to put an icon on each user's desktop top that, when the user clicks on it, it opens a 'folder' that is a connection to another file server, via SMB or sshfs, or some other protocol? The idea is that the kids can click on the icon to open a view of their home directory on the remote file server, and drag files in and out of there. Ideally, it would prompt for an ID & PW, but we could manage public keys over ssh if necessary. What I can't figure out is what command the icon should call when the user clicks on it. Trying to setup a generic link in gnome, using environment variables like $USER and $HOME doesn't work because Gnome doesn't seem to understand those and just treats them as literal strings. I can call sshfs with environment variables, but that just mounts the remote directory. I supposed I could create a script that calls sshfs, and once mounted, calls Nautilus's file manager pointed at the mountpoint; what's the syntax for that? Or is there a better way?

Petre