[K12OSN] What is the limitations of free nx compared to nx server.

Daniel Kuecker kueckerd at shenandoah.k12.ia.us
Mon Oct 30 16:11:29 UTC 2006

I had set up freenx on a stock k12ltsp. the only problem i had was
pam_mount did not work. the home dirs on a windows share did not mount.
I would love to use it, but I need to have access to windows homedir.

>>> Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> 10/30/2006 9:07 AM >>>
Actually, that's one of the touted benefits of the NX protocol, that it
can strip and
compress X traffic down to low-bandwidth links like dial-up and still
give decent
performance.  Thus, if your server has a T1 upload link, you ought to
be able to get
~20+ freenx sessions going, assuming the server can handle the load.
Caveat: I haven't
tried this.  It seems several people have been thinking along the lines
of providing
access to the server to students at home.  Since the server isn't
really in use after
hours, it would seem to be feasible.  Anyone trying it yet?

Petre

Ramon wrote:
> Actually the acess to files from outside the school should be made
through a
> website or a webdav. Providing a freenx account wouldn't do any good
to your
> bandwidth.
>
> Best,
>
> Ramon Lima

> Thanks for the info Theo! 200 sessions is more than enough for my
> needs.
>
> Thanks
> -Glenn

On