[K12OSN] login screen with KDM

I'm looking into using KDM instead of GDM because I want to setup some workstations to autologin (for younger kids). I changed to KDM by adding DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE to /etc/sysconfig/desktop and then ran gdm-stop which caused gdm to stop and kdm to start. As such, the login screen has changed from the GDM greeter with the picture of the school kids to just a blue Fedora login screen. Logging into KDE and choosing Control Center -> System Administration -> Login Manager, it appears that even with KDM I should see the same thing as with GDM, the school kids picture, but I don't. Nor does changing any of the Appearance settings within the Login Manager seem to change anything. Any explanations for this disconnect and how to fix it?

Petre