[K12OSN] Teacher access to teacher tool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 03:00:18 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/06, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:08 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> >

> > >         Any suggestions?
> >

> > TeacherTool is blowing away the folks in Atlanta!
> >
> > Watching the look as we launched 23 simultaneous copies of OpenOffice
> > with one button click was priceless!
> >
> > The speedup with the IP address only (instead of the hostname) I am
> >   willing to sacrifice in favor of the hostname list and a way to filter
> > the list. We are going to have 150-180 thin clients per server (Big
> > Servers!) and the fun of a teacher accidentally logging out a student
> > in another room is not something I want to play with :)
>

> Hmm. This is an issue when you have big servers.  Without doing big
> additions to my code :) I have a couple of ideas.
>
> 1) Not sure if each student has their own username but if they are just
> using generic logins like comp1, comp2, comp3, etc then you can
> differentiate with usernames like Acomp1, Bcomp1, Ccomp1, etc where A,B,C
> stand for different rooms. Fl_TT will sort alphabetically so all students in
> room A will be in one solid block in the list.
>
> 2)I just thought of this but it's kind of tricky since dhcp gives out ip's
> dynamically. If you can manage to tie an ip address to a specific mac
> address (client machine) you could potentially make each machine according
> to their mac address (and therefore location or classroom) start a tiny
> little program at login that does nothing and takes up almost no memory. The
> important aspect would be the name of the program. Call it "classA" for all
> computers in room A. I think you get the idea. So you could therebye use the
> FIND button in Fl_TT to select only those users who are in room A by typing
> "classA" and hitting FIND. You could then broadcast, logout, whatever and
> only affect the kids in your room.

Here is an example dummy program call it classA.cc, classB.cc,  or whatever

#include <cstdlib>
int main (){
system ("sleep 2d");
return 0;
}

compile it with

g++ classA.cc -o classA

It would take up almost no memory and almost no cpu cycles since it's
sleeping. It will not work though if people remain logged in for more than 2
days (2d). However, most people log out at the end of the day. The tricky
part would be to get the correct mac address/ip to launch the correct named
program (classA,classB, etc) at login. It's kind of hackish but I think it
would solve your problem of teachers knowing who belongs to their classroom.

I have tweaked the source files and have the hostname back on. If you

--
Robert Arkiletian