[K12OSN] SSHFS and Open Office - two separate issues

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Sep 5 13:32:55 UTC 2006

Bert Rolston wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanks for the help with SMB4K, sshfs, and accessing file on my SAMBA
> server from my Linux desktop.
>
> I've just about got it all working the way I want.
>
> I've gone with sshfs because it allows the file system access that I
> want. Unfortunately I can't get it to force user ID's the way SAMBA
> does. Which leads to my first question -
>
> "How do you force the user to be someone else when a file is created
> while accessing files using sshfs, e.g. bert is the user that logs in
> and accesses a file in public folder, but all files should remain
> user=public, group=public?"
>
> My second question is how to automate the sshfs connection process, so
> that it sort of simulates a login script, and automagically mounts the
> server folders into my local file system? I've tried generating a
> public/private key, but it isn't working.

You're on the right track: After you generate the public/private keys as bert, copy the
public key to to user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.  Be sure the permissions on
/home/user and /home/user/.ssh are set to 700 and /home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys are
set to 600.  Then, as user bert, you run the following:

sshfs user at remotehost:/path/to/directory /home/bert/mountpoint

Since you're attaching as user, all the files you create & modify on the remote host
should be owned by user.  As for the group permisssions, set the group sticky bit on the
directory on the remote host.

To 'automate' this, just put it in /etc/fstab.  It will stay up all the time rather than
being unmounted when the user logs out, but since it's just an ssh session, that
shouldn't really be an issue (and it won't actually be doing anything when bert is not
logged in).  The syntax for the fstab file is like this:

sshfs#USERNAME at REMOTE_HOST:REMOTE_PATH MOUNT_POINT fuse SSHFS_OPTIONS 0 0

See the sshfs FAQ page for some examples at
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SshfsFaq

HTH

Petre