Re: [K12OSN] SSHFS and Open Office - two separate issues

Petre Scheie wrote:
Bert Rolston wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks for the help with SMB4K, sshfs, and accessing file on my SAMBA
server from my Linux desktop.

I've just about got it all working the way I want.
I've gone with sshfs because it allows the file system access that I
want. Unfortunately I can't get it to force user ID's the way SAMBA
does. Which leads to my first question -

"How do you force the user to be someone else when a file is created
while accessing files using sshfs, e.g. bert is the user that logs in
and accesses a file in public folder, but all files should remain
user=public, group=public?"

My second question is how to automate the sshfs connection process, so
that it sort of simulates a login script, and automagically mounts the
server folders into my local file system? I've tried generating a
public/private key, but it isn't working.

You're on the right track: After you generate the public/private keys as bert, copy the public key to to user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. Be sure the permissions on /home/user and /home/user/.ssh are set to 700 and /home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys are set to 600. Then, as user bert, you run the following:

sshfs user remotehost:/path/to/directory /home/bert/mountpoint

Since you're attaching as user, all the files you create & modify on the remote host should be owned by user. As for the group permisssions, set the group sticky bit on the directory on the remote host.

To 'automate' this, just put it in /etc/fstab. It will stay up all the time rather than being unmounted when the user logs out, but since it's just an ssh session, that shouldn't really be an issue (and it won't actually be doing anything when bert is not logged in). The syntax for the fstab file is like this:

sshfs#USERNAME REMOTE_HOST:REMOTE_PATH MOUNT_POINT fuse SSHFS_OPTIONS 0 0

See the sshfs FAQ page for some examples at http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SshfsFaq

HTH

Petre

I just noticed I made a mistake in my explanation that muddies everything. The example syntax should read

sshfs public remotehost:/home/public /home/bert/mountpoint

IOW, user bert connects to the remote box using the ID 'public' (not 'user' as I originally wrote).

Petre