[K12OSN] Network Driver Compile <grrrr>

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:51:48 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Mel Wade <mel at melwade.com> wrote:
> I had to go with FC5-64bit due to my Xeon processors, so I'm not running the
> straight K12LSTP verson as my base OS.. I'm hoping that the 32bit version
> will work on the virtual server....
>
> I'll check again, but I didn't see the drivers in that build.

There have been drivers for the Intel gigabit cards for some time.

BUT ... it seems like slightly newer versions of the cards come out,
and the older modules don't recognize their PCI IDs.

I know this because it bit me recently - bought a couple of quiet
rackmounts from abmx.com (and they ARE quiet), and the 2.6.15 kernel
in the original FC5-64bit didn't recognize the addon Intel gigabit
cards.

After I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.17, the Intel NICs _were_ recognized.

So I'd suggest upgrading the kernel, if your situation allows for it
(i.e., network (or sneakernet) connectivity).

Calvin