[K12OSN] Slow performance

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 5 17:13:25 UTC 2006

Firefox has very aggressive page caching. That will consume RAM over
time. Each ta has a full page cache in history for fast navigation using
the back and forward buttons.

Try running a cron job that stops all firefox apps every night.

There was a thread here earlier about setting the cache to be much
smaller. I tested that and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.
It need to be applied to all users to gain benefits.

set browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to "0" using the
about:config and then save the
~/.mozilla/firefox/default<stuff>/preferences.js file into the /etc/skel
directory for new users and push out to all existing users. Be sure
firefox is not running first.