Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.2.4EL planning... how stable?

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 17:33, Doug Simpson wrote:

Along these lines. . .

I updated 4 servers two weeks before school started and every one of
them got hacked right after that. . .I still don't have them all back
working again after re-installing them. they had been running rock
solid over a year and two of them longer than that with little to no
upgrades.  I figured newer would be better and more secure. . .
WRONG!  I will not make that mistake again!

I DO NOT recommend automated updates at all

I wouldn't do automatic updates either, but I do update
often and am not aware of any recent new Centos vulnerabilities.
Do you have any idea what happened?

I have no idea what happened other than that after the udatres, 4 updated servers got hacked and rootkits were installed.  Different rootkits on each one with different consequences.

Doug