[K12OSN] most terminals unable to connect after yum update

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 23:55:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 19:06 -0400, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 14:15 -0400, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> >> 	it -would- be easy to troubleshoot if -all- the terminals got a
> >> big fat X. It isn't all that easy, for me, that is, to figure out why
> >> some
> >> get the login screen and then proceed to desktop very, very slowly ...
> >> and
> >> i did go through the "standard grey screen of life" troubleshooting :-)
> >

> One more tidbit: VNC also gets the gray screen with X. That is true for
> VNC from the outside and for the local (as in "vncviewer localhost"). This
> is quickly becoming a nightmare.
> julius

General Troubleshooting:

* Do the same clients get the grey screen and same clients get to gdm
across reboots?

* Does swapping ethernet cables/ports on the switch between working and
non-working clients cause any changes?  (I doubt this is the problem
but...)

* Since the non-working clients are coming up with X, they are getting a
network connection, dhcp, PXE, and nfs.  But something is failing after
that.  If you look in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf are there any sections
for specific workstations or do they all fall under the Default
configuration?

* Are there any messages in /var/log/secure or /var/log/messages on the
server?  If you have selinux enabled, look in /var/log/audit/audit.log
or run `audit2allow -i /var/log/audit/audit.log`

* Are ping times from the server to the clients normal?

* Are the non-working clients different from the working clients or do
you have a homogenous network?

* Are you running networked authentication?

* If you run iftop on the server or another tool to analyze the network
traffic, are you saturating the LAN connection?

-Toshio