[K12OSN] OT: still have sluggish system

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:20:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 06:28 +0000, dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
> The basic issue is that for the last 3 years, we have been using Type-to-Learn via rdesktop to our student terminal server very successfully.  Now, after upgrading, once we reach about 9 users, the Windows Terminal server hits 100% CPU  and everything comes to a halt.  Previously, we were running without issues with 30 users (and as many as 40 on occasion), server was still reaching 100%, but it worked.  The windows systems  are also fully patched.
>
> So, in about 6 hours, the kids start arriving again, and ...we still can't use TTL.  The tech teacher is ready to scream, as am I.  Not sure what my next step is at this point.   I could rebuild the windows system but what will that buy me.  The only thing I can think of is that either a hotfix changed something on the windows system, or ... perhaps the most recent version of rdesktop may be the issue (it was release last March?) or ... I need to revert to the 2.4 kernel for the thin clients (just thinking/musing out loud).  Oh, well, time to go get about 3 hours of sleep.

This one might be obvious but -- have you ruled out the Windows servers?
Have they done an automatic system update in the same timeframe?  If you
turn them off are you seeing the same network traffic and general
slowdown?  It might seem cold-consolation at first if it turns out that
either the Windows Servers or the rdp sessions are causing the slowdowns
but if it's the problem at least you'll start troubleshooting the
correct piece of the puzzle.

-Toshio