[K12OSN] re: Re: smbldap-installer: Bulk-user-add (Michael Blinn)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Wed Sep 13 18:15:06 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:37:30 -0400
> From: Michael Blinn <mblinn at peopleplaces.org>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer: Bulk-user-add
>
> I also found an issue with smbldap-useradd-bulk when feeding a homegrown
> userinfo.names file.
>
> The docs (at
> http://www.vcsvikings.org/docuwiki/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ManagingUsers) asked
> for: firstname,surname,username,GID,password
>
> The code looked for:
> firstname,surname,username,GID,shell,home,quota,password
>
> So I simply populated a few more "," characters in there and all worked
> well. I had meant to email Matt this but slipped my mind until your
> email. Sorry for thread-heisting.

Thanks for mentioning this - the portion of the instructions you read
is probably from the first version, which didn't include as many
fields in the input file.

Would you be willing to update the documentation wiki to list all the
fields correctly?

It might be best simply to list what the appropriate fields are, and
then explain that "all the following examples and discussion of the
spreadsheets, etc. apply the same way, except that you need this list
of fields instead of the shorter set in the examples", or something
like that (but clearer and more concise ;).

That way we can minimize the impact of changing the input format in
the future, as well, if we only have a small section to update instead
of a majority of the text.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/