[K12OSN] Linux disk utility

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 21:06:15 UTC 2006

On 9/15/06, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have any good suggestions on a linux disk utility?  I just had
> 300GB SCSI in my Dell PowerVault blink out.  I booted into the SCSI BIOS
> and
> it said the drive had failed and was offline.  However when I got drive
> info
> from the utility it said the drive was fine.  So I forced it back online
> and

Look at /var/log/messages for scsi errors. I found settings the scsi bus to
320 (in the scsi bios)  sometimes causes my drive to be kicked out of the
array. Especially if you don't have a high quality scsi cable. So I set it
to 160 and it's been rock solid.

 The only real way to test the drive is from the manufacturer utils that
usually boot from a dos like floppy disk. Sometimes the BIOS will have a
test util built in.

now I am sending email from the same server.  The drives are still under
> warranty so I want to be sure I don't just let this go.  I looked for
> something in Webmin to no avail.  I would like something I can set
> crunching
> overnight and get a clean bill of health by morning.
>
> And from home my only access to this server is via Webmin or ssh.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Kronebusch
> Cotter Tech Department
> 507-453-5188
>

> --
> dangerous content by the Cotter Technology
> Department, and is believed to be clean.

Robert Arkiletian