[K12OSN] yum / CPAN

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:37:27 UTC 2006

On 9/18/06, Michael Blinn <mblinn at peopleplaces.org> wrote:
> Ah - Mystery solved. This came in with 'smbldap-tools' - was
> automagically downloaded by the installer.

Was this smbldap-tools package from Fedora Extras, or from K12LTSP?

If it was from Extras, it should gotten all its dependent packages
(including perl-Unicode-Map) from Extras, rather than from Dag.

IF this is what happened, it's an example of why I don't enable any
non-Fedora repositories (except for Macromedia) by default - I install
everything I possibly can from the base and extras repos, then enable
other repos only for packages which I can't get from base and extras.

That includes dependencies - for example, if a Dries package requires
other packages, I try to install those from base and extras, rather
than installing the Dries version (reducing the number of "outside"
packages installed reduces the chance of some package conflict, like
the one you experienced).

Anyway, that's my policy. Use it if it works for you.

Calvin