[K12OSN] K12LTSP @ Alabama Education Technology Association Conference

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Sep 20 14:51:53 UTC 2006

Using Teacher Tool to launch apps on a bunch of clients, or log them all off, etc., is
great for the 'Wow!' factor.  I would also dig through the messages from Daniel Howard,
William Fragakis, and James Kinney about how K12LTSP has revolutionized (my word)
computer use at Morris Brandon in Atlanta.  I say revolutionized because using K12LTSP
has allowed them to not just change the ratio of students to computers, but to also
change the proximity between them: with LTSP, you CAN have 5-9 computers in each
classroom, and when you do, it changes the way teachers use them, allowing them to truly
incorporate them into the curriculum. And the proof in Morris Brandon's pudding was the
increase in test scores, especially compared to comparable schools.  Like them, I'm not
a big fan of all the testing, but nevertheless the scores demonstrate what Linux can do,
that others can't, when properly played to its advantages.

The point is that only with Linux can you get to this state.  If you try to put that
many Windows or Macs into a classroom, it would be too expensive to buy that many
machines.  And even if some benefactor gave you the machines, schools don't have the
staff to support that many additional machines, since each one must be managed.  And
even if someone gave you the money for the staff to support those machines on a
recurring basis, most classrooms aren't wired electrically to support that many fat
client machines.  And even if someone gave you all the money for all that for a year or
three plus new wiring, in three years you'd be right back where you started with
outdated, slow machines.  And even if that benefactor was willing to repeat that
generous grant for machines, staff and power increase every three years, you still have
higher and more frequent disposal costs compared to disposing of old stripped PC
clients, or better, actual thin clients, which will last 5-10 years.  With LTSP, all
those problems go away.  It's the only way to do it.

There's a great presentation on Morris Brandon's migration at www.gosef.org.

Petre