[K12OSN] LDAP rebuild question

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Sep 21 02:39:36 UTC 2006

Ok, reran the ldap script to completely rebuild/redo the new ldap server.  Then, ran
net getlocalsid DOMAINNAME on the old server.
used the DOMAINNAME in net setlocalsid command on the new server.

Tried to import the old ldif but got errors about existing keys, so deleted the database, and then imported the ldif without errors.

Checked with net getlocalsid DOMAINNAME that the SID returned was correct. Tried net getlocalsid which returned the same SID but for the local machine name.
Finally, net rpc getsid also reports the correct SID as being placed in the secrets.tbd file. (The above is slightly different than on the old server for which net getlocalsid just returned an error about not being able to get the name).  The two servers are at different .versions of samba though.  Old is at 3.0.14, while new is 3.0.23a, so perhaps this is to be expected.

I can log on with any of the Linux LDAP accounts. BUT .... still have issue with Samba.  In particular, none of the old profiles are recognized.  Instead, new profiles are created which is an issue since there are a couple of packages that have to be customized.  In particular, every student has a TTL3.ini file in their WINDOWS directory (e.g. /home/student01/WINDOWS/TTL3.ini)  With the old server, this file directory is recognized and the ini settings are applied.  With the new server they ar e not.

BUT ... su - student01 just hangs.  Same with any account.
Similarly, running

passwd dahopkins returns

Changing password for user dahopkins.
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

I guess things just aren't quite right yet. :0

I know this isn't the forum for this, and only posted because I used the automatic script.  I will try the samba forum to see if they know what I did wrong.

Thanks for the advice, just isn't my month.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

From: cliebow at midmaine.com