[K12OSN] Firefox and Flash, RealPlayer

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:24:27 UTC 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 12:00, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:22:01 -0500
> From: David Markovich <dmarkovich at drmcs.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] Firefox and Flash, RealPlayer
> To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
>         <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> Is anyone else having trouble getting sound from Firefox,  have
> installed Flash player and Realplayer and both do not play sound in the
> browser.
>
> Clients are Optiplex GX1 , server dual Xeon 3.0ghz with K12ltsp 5 - 32bit

You don't say what versions of Real or which network sound service you are
using but Later versions of Real don't work with ESound see:

	http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Sound

But it also mentions that the MPlayer plugin supports Real, Windows Media,
Quicktime etc. I had to compile my own mplayer binary to get esd support, but
that was pretty easy as long as I had esd-devel installed first.

In the same document, it explains what you must do to make Flash sound work
(need to create some sockets etc.).

All you have to do is to get your terminal sound drivers working with esd. I
tested mine with XMMS before beginning to test the rest of the applications.
XMMS allows you to choose varions sound services in it's setup directly.

I have MPlayer and Flashplayer working with ESound with K12LTSP v5 (LTSP
v4.2u4), but I am using the DevonIT NTA 6020P terminal.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |