[K12OSN] Help! 280gigs of one student folder copied recursively into inself

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Sep 25 19:18:42 UTC 2006

I ran into a similar problem some years ago: a bug in Mandrake's logrotate caused
certain files & directories in /var/log to be copied and then renamed; but this meant
that each day the previously-archived logs were also copied to new files, which was then
repeated the next day compounding the problem, and so on and so on.  After a few weeks,
there would be hundreds of thousands of files.  We used to call it the Sorcerer's
Apprentice problem, since it modeled Mickey Mouse's experience with a certain
magical-broom-run-amok.

Anyway, I can tell you from that that running 'rm -rf /directory' CAN take a long time
in a case like this.  And if you've got 320GB to plow through, I wouldn't surprise me if
it needed to run over night.  If it's all on a separate partition, it would be quicker
to just reformat that partition, but I'm guessing that's not the case.  You may just
have to wait it out.  Or reinstall.  Considering that a stock install only takes about
20 minutes on a modern machine, it would be faster to go that route, assuming you can
afford to lose any data that's on the system.

Petre