Jim

From: Petre Scheie <petre maltzen net>
To: jim linux ca, "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Help! 280gigs of one student folder copied recursively into inself
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:18:42 -0500

I ran into a similar problem some years ago: a bug in Mandrake's logrotate caused certain files & directories in /var/log to be copied and then renamed; but this meant that each day the previously-archived logs were also copied to new files, which was then repeated the next day compounding the problem, and so on and so on. After a few weeks, there would be hundreds of thousands of files. We used to call it the Sorcerer's Apprentice problem, since it modeled Mickey Mouse's experience with a certain magical-broom-run-amok.

Anyway, I can tell you from that that running 'rm -rf /directory' CAN take a long time in a case like this. And if you've got 320GB to plow through, I wouldn't surprise me if it needed to run over night. If it's all on a separate partition, it would be quicker to just reformat that partition, but I'm guessing that's not the case. You may just have to wait it out. Or reinstall. Considering that a stock install only takes about 20 minutes on a modern machine, it would be faster to go that route, assuming you can afford to lose any data that's on the system.

Petre

Jim Christiansen wrote:
I don't know how this happenned, but I started an scp job of my student homes from the old server across to the new server and walked away. Today I have found that the 8 gigs of data has grown to fill the entire 320 gig drive, most of it being one student's directory recursively copied into itself...

The old server drive is failing but I can't see how this could affect the s copy... I did and fschk to get it to reboot before the scp job.

The new server can not seem to rm -rf the offending folder. I have been waiting about one hour, and still nothing.

Is there any other way to get this removed?

Thanks,  Jim