[K12OSN] tuxtype superslow on 12 gig ram server -K12LTSP

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 00:51:00 UTC 2006

On 27/09/06, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> A few years ago, someone one the list (was it Terrell?) did some testing and found that
> TuxType actually consumed about 73Mb of network bandwidth per client!  The point was, as

Any one done re-testing on that statement?

IMHO a thin client is just doing IO (Screen, keyboard & mouse) so why
would such high bandwidth be used? The whole purpose of Server thin
client environment is that the hard-disk to cpu and back all happens
within the pci bus and only display is exported.

The typical bandwidth I have observed is more in line with what one
would expect for screen refresh of 1024x768x24bit depth. Generally
with 30+ clients logged in and running general productivity
applications I see total bandwidth usage of < 10mbps.

When I mentioned Xchess in the thread earlier on, it was not for
reason of bandwidth but such programs are more CPU intensive and
probably run with nice level to grab max CPU cycles.

Right now I am not at a network so can not test out but any one who
can revert with tuxtype bandwidth data? You need to run iptraf or even
better ibmonitor at the server and then launch tuxtype or xchess and
see the traffic rates for that client or for entire net generally.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar