[K12OSN] OT: thoughts on running vista through K12LTSP

Shawn Maggard maggardcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:06:42 UTC 2007

I don't want to turn this into a "Vista blast zone", but several clients
here have went out and bought HPs and Dells and brought them to me just to
show me the horrible performance and ask to purchase XP. I think Vista will
be "better" in about 3 years when the hardware catches up. But for now, I
see nothing in it that is worth the upgrade except for drivers that don't
exist and horrible performance.

On 4/11/07, Caleb Wagnon <cwagnon at fordyceschools.org> wrote:

> If I may chime in here....get the "powers that be" one true vista system
> to play with and watch them recoil. My experience in these parts has been as
> people get new computers for home they bring them to me to blow away and
> stick XP on. They were begging for windows XP when it was the new thing.
> However with Vista my users say to me "We're not going to have to use Vista
> *here* are we?"
>
> They hate all the "stupid security popups" and the "stupid circle cursor
> that won't go away" =)
>
> Thanks Microsoft for becoming so out of touch with your consumers that you
> are inadvertently promoting alternative operating systems....
>
> There's no way to rationally virtualize vista and get excellent
> performance. Certainly not in a terminal environment.
>

> Caleb Wagnon
> Technology Coordinator
> Fordyce Schools
>
> ____________________

> Levi,
>
> I was just trying to see if anyone had tried running Vista via any VM
> software. I thought if it were possible to run on top of Linux, such as
> replacing a fresh IMG for example if the primary IMG gets hosed might be
> less maintenance,etc. As you stated I m afraid you couldnt get enough ram
> sticks shoved inside the server to provide the amount of available ram to
> run many concurrent connections for Vista. I m just curious more than
> anything if this has been attempted in any school scenarios? The powers
> that be, would like to have a few pcs ( 20-25),with Vista for next school
> year,so was just pondering options.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry Cisna

Shawn Maggard