[K12OSN] RE: Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Thu Apr 19 11:39:48 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007 12:17, rowens at ptd.net wrote:

> I was trying to remember the name of a certain project I had read about,
> and I just stumbled across it today:  DRBL http://drbl.sourceforge.net/  It
> stands for Diskless Remote Boot in Linux.  Basically, a server is set up
> which has the operating system, and it PXE boots clients.  The clients then
> run *all* of their applications locally, but with no hard drive (all
> filesystems are mounted from the server).

OT: Here is another alternative
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39286741,00.htm - This is a CD
distro, but with remote storage.  OK it's not a thin client setup but it
could be another way to get Linux onto the desktop using low powered
machines.  The companies website is www.babeldisc.com

Take your CD into a internet cafe, library, etc anywhere in the world, boot
the PC from your CD and your files are accessible.  Much better than dragging
a laptop around with you.  Even better if the image was on USB - your system
in your pocket.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation