[K12OSN] Firefox crashes

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Fri Apr 27 17:19:13 UTC 2007

This errors do not occur on my thick FC5/FC6 installation. I have a
reproducible crash in Firefox.i386 with flash9 on my x86_64 K12LTSP5
box. I've run it through gdb using the command
"/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/run-mozilla.sh --debug ./firefox-bin" and it
returned the following text upon error:

The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
 (Details: serial 309724 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

I then ran the command with "/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/run-mozilla.sh
--debug ./firefox-bin --sync", with no changes, and then tried 'set args
--sync' in gdb prior to running it, but either the arguments aren't
taking or I'm doing something incorrectly. The only change is in the
(Details line, where the second time it printed "(Details: serial 539995
error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)".

This box has 8GB RAM. At the time of the crash, I have 2.5GB of RAM free
on the box. 0 swapped of course.  I don't believe the 'insufficient
resources' claim ;)

Googling this message gives me the following semi-useless info:

    * "I got an error msg like that once, the "This probably reflects a
      bug in the program. The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient
      resources for operation)...' and I found out the problem was with
      the default font I had selected to use on xchat. My user had no
      reading access to it, so after I fixed that it magically worked
      fine, as usual Very Happy"
    * http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2007-03/thread.html#70

Any suggestions for where to go from here?

Cheers,
 Michael Blinn