[K12OSN] Edubuntu workstation install

Kari Matthews karisue at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 00:34:30 UTC 2007

For anyone who's curious, I got smbldap ala Matt Oquist up and going today.
I did a fresh server install w/ Ubuntu 7.04 and then did a workstation
install w/ Edubuntu 7.04 (server ed, installed as workstation).  I got these
directions from Tracy Taulman -- thanks Tracy!  The only things that are not
included are:

1.  You have to chown the home directories after you export them.  We do
"wsadmin" on the workstations and "administrator" on the server to avoid
confusion.

2.  smbldap-useradd and smbldap-passwd to create users by hand, if that is
the method of choice, obviously.  This is what I did to test the server --
added a few users quickly, just to see if this was all going to work or be
for naught.

3.  Use Nautilus to create the folder on the server in /home and change the
owner to owner of directory

4.  I am manually adding a printer to each workstation -- haven't figured
out how to send those jobs thru the server.  Anyone have a fast tip on that?

I don't have a high-powered server, but I do have 20 lovely computers w/
40GB hd's.  It is not the funnest in the world to maintain these, but it's
not too bad.

Anyway, wanted to show you all how I used Matt's script -- no big whoop, I
suppose, but I thought someone out there might find this useful.