[K12OSN] problem with pivot root identifing the nic

Jacob Maier jmaier at icsptk.org
Sun Aug 19 12:33:43 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone
I am going to try and explain my problem one more time.
I bought a bunch of ASUS vintage 2 AH2 bare bone kits (m2npv-vm
motherboards) added memory and processor to be my clients.
I am using k12ltsp version 6 as the server.
I see the client start up and get the DHCP and TFTP fine. It then begins
the second boot and tells me it can not identify the NIC and aborts.
I know that the generic forcedeth driver will work or I can install a
driver from the NVIDIA website. what I need to know is how to I force
the kernel to use one of these modules.
Failing this I can boot from USB thumb drives. In which case what small
distro would you recommend and what do I have to add to make sure it
works properly with the server.
School is starting in two days so I need to get thing done.
Thanks in advance.
Jacob Maier