[K12OSN] HELP!! creating bulk users

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Aug 25 16:49:01 UTC 2007

"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>Unfortunately, I do not understand your commands. I also have to have a
>way to do this that will work as this is a production server. I would just
>blow this away and start over but the users passwords have already been
>put into there schedule. I am also unsure if I create the users again
>using the bulk user script (from matt oquists smbldap-installer) that it
>will still not create the home directories. Is there something wrong with
>this script? I need help!

The passwords don't have to change....you should still have the master
output file with all the passwords in it right?  Sounds like you forgot
the "-m" switch in smbldap-useradd-bulk.  Believe it or not...I did that
just the other day....so I ran smbldap-userdel-bulk.....removed the users
again....and then "re-added them" making sure I used the -m switch.
So...let's assume the input file you used was  students.input.....and the
output file was students.output.   You should have originally run:

./smbldap-useradd-bulk -m -f students.input -o students.output

To remove them....simply run

./smbldap-userdel-bulk -f students.output

Then to re-add....passwords and all...  (making sure this time the -m
switch is in place)

./smbldap-useradd-bulk -m -f students.ouput -o students.newoutput

The output file is actually in the format needed and contains all the
default information you need including the passwords.  The script works in
such a way that if the password is there in the text file....it will use
it....otherwise it will generate one.  The output file has the password in
place...so that's the one that will be used.  No worries!  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org