[K12OSN] Technology and Learning cover story: Linux

Ray Garza garza.r.tx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:12:29 UTC 2007

Richard Ingalls wrote:

> And thanks to everyone on this mail list who has helped me through the
> years to create those LTSP labs in my school district.  I don't know
> if those labs are even still functioning now that I'm gone... it would
> be such a bummer if that was dropped.  But the guy they brought in
> after me wasn't a Linux dude - he shut down my Apache webserver and
> Sendmail email server and setup a MS environment (probably spent money
> that I was going to spend on client PCs to build more labs for more
> students).  Oh well...

I experienced the same thing at the Library I used to work at. I had
IPCop and two K12LTSP servers along with a SME server and the new guy
wanted to rip it all out and go with all MS stuff.  But after looking
for a replacement system to authenticate users  accessing the Internet
they gave up and kept the system as is. Although, they will probably
replace the K12LTSP servers and install Vista Home PC's.

> This time I think the Sr. Net Admin (who is actually younger than me)
> is supportive of the idea and willing to put a virtual server online
> for me to install all these OSS applications on for the entire
> organization.  Ironically, it will be an MS server, virtualized to run
> Linux as the OS... not the other way around!  Funny, eh?  The Sr. Net
> Admin has experience with Joomla/Mambo/Drupal, so that's a plus!

That's nice t have a boss that is open minded enough to utilize other
OS's other than MS. Perhaps you can take this little crack and keep
expanding it as time goes by.

Ray