[K12OSN] pcmcia network card

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sun Dec 9 14:24:19 UTC 2007

Long story short, you can't.  It's a catch-22: To talk to PCMCIA devices, you
need the kernel to be already loaded; but to get a kernel, you need to have
networking working so you can download one from the kernel.  The old wireless
floppy had a kernel compiled for a very specific PCMCIA NIC (I forget which one)
and it was an old 2.4 kernel I believe.  Newer kernels are too big to fit on a
floppy.

One option is to boot from a CD, which will have enough space to load the kernel
and necessary parts for talking to the NIC.  Another option is to put this same
code onto the laptop's hard drive.  I think there are how-to's on the LTSP wiki
for doing these.

As an aside, a year or so ago, I believe Bristol Wireless had proposed paying a
developer to work out some code that would talk to some/most PCMCIA subsystems
that would have allowed booting laptops with PCMCIA cards.  I haven't heard
anything about it for a while, so it may not have gotten off the ground.
http://www.bristolwireless.net/wiki/index.php/PCMCIABootGPXE

Peter